Monday, August 31, 2009

God Meant Business


8/31/2009

Ezekiel 12:3 3 “Therefore, son of man, prepare for yourself baggage for exile and go into exile by day in their sight; even go into exile from your place to another place in their sight. Perhaps they will understand though they are a rebellious house. (New American Standard Bible)

What if tomorrow we had to leave our homes, our towns and this country and go live in Sri Lanka? They got some strange customs and beliefs in Sri Lanka. They got some strange gods in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka ain’t the land of the free and the home of the brave. Exile was a very uncomfortable experience because those in exile had to suddenly adjust to everything new around them – new cultures, new languages, new customs, and new religions; all under duress and against their will.

God meant business with His people and used Ezekiel to make His point in hope that His people would somehow understand His love though they were stubborn and rebellious.

I don’t want to admit to being rebellious but sometimes it takes slamming into a brick wall to get my attention and to cause me to think. If I look at them properly, my circumstances – comfort level notwithstanding – can be those things that help me see and hear God more clearly. As God wanted the ancient Jews to understand, so too He desires that I understand – my God loves me.

Father in Heaven,
You graciously used Ezekiel to usher in the dismantling of the pride of Israel – their proud culture and traditions – so they would understand You meant business; You loved them and relentlessly pursued their success in relationship with You. You used prophets, circumstances, and exile to get Your message across. Lord, I believe You do the same for me. Help me to understand and cooperate and know You mean business in the success of my relationship with You. I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: