Sunday, August 23, 2009

For The Trinity and for Trinity


8/23/2009

1 John 4:20 20 If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. New American Standard Bible

Yesterday, a friend of mine sent me an e-mail that his infant daughter was in the hospital recovering from a seizure. They’re not sure what happened or why, but he asked me (and apparently many others) to pray. Which I did.

Later in the afternoon, my wife showed me some comments on Facebook from some of the others who were praying and on the list was a person with whom I have aught and have had since the last day of this past school year; someone I need to forgive for decisions he made that affected me. (I was so mad at him, I wanted to kick his butt and I treated him very rudely.)

So here comes a request for prayer from (it now appears) a mutual friend whose little daughter is named, of all names, “Trinity”. And here comes a thought: “Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions. “But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your transgressions.” (Mark 11:25-26) Busted.

So, today, for the sake of the Trinity and for Trinity, I forgive and will endeavor to communicate that forgiveness to one who is my brother; I’ll also ask for his. God takes this relationship thing very seriously and it is high time I did so myself…

Father in Heaven,
You’ve used Your word and a little girl to show me what I’m doing: harboring offense, unforgiveness, and hatred in my heart. I’m sorry and I repent. I admit some situations in life are difficult, but I agree that harboring offense and anger are extremely hurtful to me and my relationship with You. I pray for Trinity and for this brother who’s offended me and ask for healing for all of us. Thank You for bringing it to light – I gratefully pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

1 comment:

lostinbend08 said...

An excellent word, Paul ... and a reminder to all of us about harboring hatred and resentment, which really can only lead to discontent and disconnection. May the Lord bless you as you reach out to someone who has hurt you ... you are doing the Godly thing!