Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Do As I Did


8/11/2009

John 13:15 15 “For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.” New American Standard Bible

What would Jesus do? Jesus, the Master, the Lord of all, would set an example that we should do as He did – get up, take off His outer garment, pick up a towel and a basin, and wash feet. But not only that, He’d exercise lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for [He delights] in these things,” (Jeremiah 9.24). What would Jesus do – He’d teach others about God and He’d live His life serving others by exercising lovingkindness, justice and righteousness.

I’m to do the same, but with one catch: I’m to do it as He did, inseparably linked to the Father through the Holy Spirit. And I’m to obey. When a friend asks for a favor I respond, ‘What do you need?” and I’m willing to do whatever I can to help (usually, more than necessary). God only asks the same thing. Where is my heart when God says, “…let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,”?

My heart must be where Jesus’ was when He said, “I gave you an example that you should do as I did to you.” Simple.

No comments: