Thursday, August 6, 2009

So Jesus Was Saying


8/6/2009

John 8:31 31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
New American Standard Bible

An argument ensues and escalates to the point where Jesus is the target of a stoning. Jesus explains what it really takes and it gets under their skin. Jesus was saying that commitment to the Kingdom means unbroken commitment to His words. And understanding who they really were, and why He really came. It made them so mad they picked up stones to kill Him…

The Lord does the same thing with us – He gently makes His point about what He expects from us and then uses our circumstances to get out attention. Some crumble in humility and draw closer to the Lord, and some lash back in anger; some learn the lesson and some persist in doing things their way.

God loves me and is continually – night and day – at work in my life. He is at work in me to perfect me and to let me be His partner in accomplishing good in the world. I have no greater calling and nothing I possess, thought, word, deed, family, possessions – nothing can stand in the way of that – He will see to it. But I must cooperate and put down my stones and follow Him wherever and however He leads. And do whatever He says…

Father in Heaven,
Be near me my Father I ask You to stay.
And may I not cringe at the things that You say.
Your purpose within me is to build a holy life
And free me from thinking that fuels self's strife

I am called to follow You no matter where
And cast upon You all of my care.
So in this life may I rise to Your standard in deed and in prayer
And be fitted for heaven to live with You there. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: