Sunday, August 30, 2009

Do Not Cease


8/30/2009

Revelation 4:8 8 ‘And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come.”’ (New American Standard Bible)

At face value this appears to be a weird scene; John was attempting to describe heaven and though he used words we understand, I don’t think he (or we) could fully comprehend what he was witnessing. What gets me is these four creatures incessantly repeating, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come.” What’s up with that!?

The presence of the Lord, that’s what; they can’t help themselves because they are in the presence of the Lord, and in His presence everything changes; nature changes, hearts change; perspective changes. The twenty-four elders fall down and worship because they can’t help themselves – they’re in the presence of One who is so marvelous and worthy, all they can do is throw themselves down in wonder and delight of His goodness and might; that, is worship.

In the face of all I experience these days and the uncertainty of men and their motives, I will focus on the goodness and might of the Lord and worship Him. As I pray for people and situations over which I have no control, I will worship with wonder and delight because He is not looking for me to solve anything – He asks only that I remain faithful – He’ll take care of the rest. So my focus is the Triune God, and I won’t cease to say, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come.”

Father in Heaven,
You have all things under Your control and Your purposes are being worked out on earth and in heaven and one day, in heaven, I too will cast my crown in wonder and delight, and say forever, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come.” Because of Jesus! Amen.

No comments: