Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tend My Sheep


8/19/2009

John 21:17 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus said to him, “Tend My sheep." New American Standard Bible

Picture this in your mind: Jesus, Peter, and a large elephant (of guilt), strolling along the beach in the early morning; waves gently lapping, gulls squawking, cool air, a pink sky, and a light Galilean breeze. Jesus set out that morning to tell Peter something and by doing so, not to beat him up, but to restore, refocus, and recommit Peter to his true calling; it wasn’t to fish.

Peter had lost his perspective, as we all do from time to time, and Jesus came to dismiss the elephant, and get Peter going, back in the right direction; it wasn’t to fish. So Jesus said to him, “Peter, I called you to be a shepherd, now, tend My sheep. Someone else can do the fishing…”

The story in John 21 is the story of restoration, refocus and recommitment – and remembering that it is God who calls and commissions; and counsels us when we forget it's someone else’s job to catch the fish. His word to me today is, “Paul, do you really love Me? If you do, then remember what I told you in John 14:15, ‘If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.' How’s that workin’ for ya?”

Father in Heaven,
You moved upon a couple of your servants to write the following and it is my prayer to You today as I look at where I am today, where I was yesterday and where I’m supposed to be tomorrow. And what I’m supposed to be doing…

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

When I feel afraid, think I've lost my way, still you're there right beside me.
And nothing will I fear as long as you are near. Please be near me to the end.

I will not forget your love for me and yet my heart forever is wandering.
Jesus be my guide, and hold me to your side, I will love you to the end.

Nothing will I fear as long as you are near.
Please be near me to the end.
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path, and a light unto my path.
You're the light unto my path.1 1 (Words and Music by Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith © 1984 Bug And Bear Music Meadowgreen Music)

No comments: