Saturday, August 22, 2009

Divine Roommate


8/22/2009

1 John 3:24 24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. New American Standard Bible

Where do you live; what kind of home do you have? Wherever and whatever it is it’s probably familiar to you. When you’re out, you don’t usually find yourself in too much trouble finding your way home. When you’re there, you don’t forget where the bathroom is. When you lay your head on the pillow at home tonight, it will be yours.

John’s statement to us is simply this: the one who keeps the commandments of God (does what He says) lives in God! God is his home. The law is out the window because by the law we find slavery not freedom. We don’t have to wait for heaven because God promises at least part of it here and now – “I will be with you and I will be in you”, says the Lord. (See John 14 – same author as 1 John)

That means that I must always do what God tells me to do and ever seek Him so that I may know what to do. As I do this, my divine Roommate reveals more and more of Himself to me and together, we know one another more and more. I can’t know what God tells me to do if I don’t make time and space for Him. I can’t know Him if I don’t learn about Him. But if I do I get the assurance that I know Him and He knows me and we live at home together in perfect harmony…

Father in Heaven,
And Father of my heart, You have chosen fellowship as the means for us to know one another. Your promise is You will dwell in a cesspool like me because I choose to do what You command. Father, forgive me for doubting where You are – You’re at home in my heart by Your Spirit through Jesus Christ my Lord, in His Name, amen.

No comments: