Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I Truly Have Heard


8/4/2009

2 Kings 22:19 19 “…because your heart was tender and you humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I spoke against this place and against its inhabitants that they should become a desolation and a curse, and you have torn your clothes and wept before Me, I truly have heard you,” declares the Lord.”
New American Standard Bible

King Josiah, the last great king of Judah, was not putting on a show, he was genuinely sorry for his own sins and the sins of his people. I’m certain he walked around for days with a broken heart. We’re not used to seeing our leaders doing that – the people back then were probably surprised as well.

But God saw Josiah’s heart. The king’s actions revealed his brokenness and God responded with these words, “…because your heart was tender and you humbled yourself…and you have torn your clothes and wept before Me, I have truly heard you.” God responds to what is in our heart.

My prayers, words and actions must come from a brokenness that only God can see, and supply. I must remember that my situation and circumstances are carefully orchestrated by the Lord to bring me to the place of seeing my own sin and repenting with godly repentance. Because when I do – God responds. Then there is healing, then there is restoration; and then there is fresh faith to carry on.

Father in Heaven,
You truly hear the cries of the truly broken; the truly sorrowful and the truly repentant. So, I pray for brokenness, not that I may get what I want, but that I may know that You, the Lord of heaven and earth, hear me and respond. I sing the song of Psalm 37, trusting in the Lord, I will do good; dwelling in the land, I will cultivate faithfulness, seeking brokenness. I will delight myself in the Lord; and receive from Him, the desires of my heart. I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: