Monday, August 17, 2009

Ought


8/17/2009

John 19:7 7 The Jews answered him, “We have a law, and by that law He ought to die because He made Himself out to be the Son of God.”
New American Standard Bible

The “Law” was this: “Moreover, the one who blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall certainly stone him. The alien as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.” (Leviticus 24.16 NASB) Blasphemy was the crime of saying something about God that wasn’t true. The Jews accused Jesus of blasphemy because He called Himself the Son of God and that just didn’t fit into their definition of God…

We all ought to die; we all, because of our crimes against God and each other, deserve to die – blasphemy or not. But God in His infinite mercy sent to us a Savior to die – not for calling Himself who He really was – as atonement for us for our crimes against God and each other. Where the Jews failed miserably was in the confusing of relationship with religion, and ignoring love for the sake of law.

I do deserve to die but my God has provided through Jesus Christ, a way for me to live. And because He has, I really ought to live relating to others as He has related to me – graciously, lovingly and considerately. I must forgive as He forgives and wherever possible seek mercy over law. Why? Because I really do deserve to die but instead He gave me His grace; and when I see the magnitude of what He’s done for me I ought to do the same for others.

Father in Heaven,
You don’t allow sin. You don’t put up with rebellion or sedition or pride. But You made a way for a sinner like me to find the two things I need the most: grace and mercy. As You have loved me by sending Jesus Christ, may I in response love others and cut them some slack knowing that they do deserve to die and don’t deserve the thing they need the most; but You made a way for them to have both holiness and divine health, through Jesus Christ. I will live for Him in response to Your grace today – amen.

No comments: