Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Light of the Son


8/20/2009

1 John 1:5 5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.
New American Standard Bible

The problem with the message John heard and announced to us is not the truth of what he was saying but the place where we tend to dwell: darkness. Paul said in 1 Timothy 6.16, that God dwells in unapproachable light – well, what’s that? God’s light is God’s truth. God dwells in the truth because God is the Truth. Apart from God (at least in this life) everything else is false or faulty; everything else has shadows.

So what is the point? The point is living in the light to grow, develop, and to bear fruit, no matter how painful, intense, humiliating, or revealing. The point is living to avoid the darkness. The point is fellowship with God, and what the light does to us as we make the effort to live in it continuously. Just as the earth and plants on the earth need the light of the sun to survive, so too, our lives need the light of the Son to survive.

Son-light helps me to live and causes me to accept who I am and Who He is. Because He is only and ever light and cannot be other than Who He is, I am called to live with Him in the light and exist accordingly. John goes on to say that if I walk in the Light as He is in the light, then I have fellowship with Him, because I have gone to where He is, and His sacrificial blood cleanses me from all sin. It doesn’t keep me from my choices but gives me cleansing from my choices…

Father in Heaven,
You are Light and in You there is no (and has never ever been) any darkness at all. Like a pale and tender shoot that has just broken out of the ground, I pray for the light to penetrate deep into my being and bring life, correction and all that is right and good. May I relish the Light and not resist – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: