Thursday, August 13, 2009

What I Truly Want


8/13/2009

John 15:7 7 “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
New American Standard Bible

In two places in John’s gospel Jesus makes a similar appeal – John 14.13 and John 15.7. Also in Psalm 37.4 we find these words: Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart. The key is not what God gives however but what is in us from God that drives our desires. Jesus said, “If you abide in Me, and my WORDS abide in you…” – the key is the abiding word of Christ – the key is delighting oneself in the Lord alone.

Jeremiah ‘ate’ the words of the Lord (Jeremiah 15.15ff) and they became his joy and delight. As a result, Jeremiah was considered by his own people to be a traitor and a dissident because he spoke to them the truth about what God was going to do to them (he did and He did.) Jeremiah’s own people killed him. But even so, Jeremiah received the Prize – God Himself! All this happened because Jeremiah lived in God and God’s words lived in him…

It’s not popular to live in God and speak God’s truth. I probably won’t be thought of very highly if I do. But if I do, and do faithfully, I’ll win the Prize and that is what I want the most. What I want is God and what I desire is Him. Jesus said I’ll have to pay a hefty price to get what I want, but it’ll be worth it; it will be done for me!

Father in Heaven,
You’ve called me to come close and Lord, I do. You’ve called me to lived separate and Father I want to. May Your words bring me ever closer and may I receive from You what I truly want – You! I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: