Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fearful and Resolute


8/5/2009

John 7:52 52 They answered him, “You are not also from Galilee, are you? Search, and see that no prophet arises out of Galilee.”
New American Standard Bible

On the outside Jesus appeared to be just another in a long line of those trying to seditiously overthrow the Romans and restore the glories of Israel. On the outside. But Jesus didn’t come to overthrow anything; He came to restore the Kingdom of God that was lost in the Garden the day Adam and Eve fell.

What the chief priests and rulers were saying was right – no prophet (i.e. messiah) was to come out of Galilee, but out of Bethlehem; but these Jews had amazing genealogical records and it would have been easy to see where Jesus' birthplace was if they had taken the time to do so.

The lesson today is two-fold: it is the fearful arrogance of men and the resolute unbelief caused by such arrogance. And though I am caught up in both, I believe Jesus came to set even me free from the traditions and misconceptions I have lived under for so long. Yes, it is true that I am a Gentile according to Jewish ways, but I have gained access to the Kingdom of God through faith in Christ – something an unbelieving Jew will never have unless he humbles himself before God and confesses with his mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord and believes in his heart that God raised Him from the dead (Romans 10).

Father in Heaven,
Salvation is according to You and not men (I cannot pray thanks enough for that!) You sent Your Son to reveal Your Kingdom and Your ways to us men and He faithfully did as You sent Him to do. Now, may I faithfully follow in His footsteps as I represent Your Kingdom as an ambassador for Christ. I ask that You continue to purge me from arrogance and unbelief and that I would be a vessel fit for use by the Holy Spirit – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: