Saturday, August 29, 2009

Eagerness and Repentance


8/29/2009

Revelation 3:19 19 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. New American Standard Bible

Reproof, that is, correction, and discipline, are not easy things. It takes a willing heart and tough skin to accept these things and not take them as personal – although in this instance it is precisely personal because Jesus reproves and disciplines the ones He loves, and you can’t get much more personal than love. Our God is not Caspar Milk-toast. Today in the reading He has made His demand known…

I am loved by the Lord and so He reproves me – that is He corrects my thinking and disciplines me – that is, He causes me to walk worthy. Therefore I consider my life and look carefully at both the things I’ve done, and the things I do, so that I may be zealous or eager, for the agenda and purposes of God in this earth. That calls for introspective meditation on my part, carefully looking at my life under the light of what I read in the Word and making the appropriate changes – eagerness and repentance. So when I accept I am really only whining and complaining about my life and circumstances, then I look to the Lord who tells me in His Word to stop and get on board with His purposes.

Father in Heaven,
You have given me Your Word that I may know what is on Your mind and how You do things. You desire a certain manner of living for me and ask that I cooperate and get on board with all that You are doing in the earth. I pray for a new perspective today that includes less of me and more of You. I pray that Your discipline and reproof work their work in my life resulting in a new attitude toward all You do and a personal forsaking of my old habits and ways that are contrary to Your purposes – help me, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: