Monday, August 3, 2009

Stubbornly Submitted


8/3/2009

John 5:30 30 “I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.”
New American Standard Bible

What if it is really true – that Jesus expects us to live so stubbornly submitted to Him that we can actually, truly say, “I can do nothing on my own initiative…”? And then say, “I will do nothing on my own initiative.” One goal of our relationship with God is to do exactly as His Son did, to give over complete control of our lives to Him, and live and do only as He allows. I know that smacks against our American mentality that we can do as we please; but maybe that’s why we need to replace that mentality with a heavenly one…

I am tired of all the stupid mistakes I have made as a believer trying to call the shots in my life; trying to control my own destiny and future; being the captain of my own soul. A true captain of his own soul simply sets a sure and steady course straight for God and does everything he can to keep his vessel – his jar of clay – headed toward the goal of, “I can [and will] do nothing on my own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my own will, but the will of Him who sent me.” That’s the goal toward which I sail.

Father in Heaven,
All nautical analogies aside, You have called me to live as Jesus lived. What would Jesus do? Not one thing until He cleared it with You! May that be the pattern of my thinking and the actuality of my life – I pray in His Name, amen.

No comments: