Sunday, August 16, 2009

Truth and Error


8/16/2009

John 18:37b Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.”
New American Standard Bible

The apostle Paul once said, “Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?” (Rom. 6.16 NASB) In talking with Pilate, Jesus was addressing a man who was a slave of error; that’s all Pilate ever understood. Jesus was trying to share truth with him but he was so caught up in error he couldn’t understand Jesus so he asked, “What is truth!?”

Whatever we understand (think) is what we live by (do), be it truth or error. Jesus plainly says He came into this world to testify to the truth. Whatever decisions we make fall on one side or the other; truth or error. How we live our lives, the friends we make, our attitude toward our culture – everything we say, do, or think finds its beginning in truth or error. And it is truth, the truth that Jesus came to testify to, that sets us free and it is error that keeps us bound. George W. Bush may have proclaimed the “War on Terror” but Jesus Christ struck the first blow in the “War on Error”!

I’m going to hang around Jesus and listen to Him tell me the truth, and then I’m gonna lovingly do what He says.

Father in Heaven,
You set out to set us free. You did that! My heart and mind have been so bound for so long by my stupid thinking and again this morning You’ve reminded me that You came to free me by Your truth – about me and about You. I pray for Your help in getting it, and keeping it. I pray for a clean heart and a clean mind. And I thank You for sending Your Son to set me free from error – I pray in His Name, amen.

No comments: