Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So I Read and I Read and I Read


8/18/2009

John 20:31 31 “…but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.”
New American Standard Bible

God told Jeremiah to write down all the words (the teachings) that He had given to him and to read the words to the people of Judah so that, “Perhaps the house of Judah will hear all the calamity which I plan to bring on them, in order that every man will turn from his evil way; then I will forgive their iniquity and their sin.” (Jeremiah 36.3 NASB) God was warning them but leaving the door open for repentance and rescue.

John also wrote down what God taught him so that those who read may believe that Jesus is the Christ – the Messiah – the Son of God; and that by [reading and] believing [one] might have life in His name. God’s grace is revealed to us in His word – which we are to read and believe.

So who are we going to believe, God or man? In whom are we to place our faith – in the Lord or in men? Does the president of the United States (or any other government official) offer me life in his name if I believe what he says?

I would paraphrase John this way: “These words have been written so that you, an intelligent creature bestowed with God’s grace, may read; and by reading believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. And because you believe what is written, you’ll have everlasting life as a result.” God’s word reveals my evil ways and helps me to turn from them and find life in Him. So I read and I read and I read…

Father in Heaven,
These brief and incomplete words don’t come anywhere close to describing the magnitude of the grace that You have poured out upon us by giving us Your word. All I can do is thank You, and faithfully read and apply these words to my everyday living so that I might enjoy everlasting life by their message. My life is to read and share Your word always – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: