Thursday, April 22, 2010

I Know What You Did


4.22.2010

Matthew 9:22 22 Jesus turned, and seeing her he said, “Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well.” ESV

The camera shows her struggling against the crowd and being foiled several times in her attempts to touch Jesus’ robe; and perhaps even a stern glance or two from a disciple or two… And then in one desperate effort her fingers brush against His garment and she turns to escape. As she’s fleeing from the crowd and what she feels are the impending consequences, she hears Him say, “Take heart, daughter; I know what you did; your faith has made you well.” She whirls around to see Him smiling as if to say, “You did the right thing – receive your reward!” And then He turns and continues down the street with the huge crowd and all the noise and excitement.

What will our circumstances make us do in faith? Will we risk embarrassment or worse? Will we put it all on the line to hear Him say, “Take heart, [child]; your faith in action has made you well.”? Mercy is better than sacrifice. Obedience is better than sacrifice. And putting it all on the line for Jesus brings smiles from Heaven and reward on earth. Today I will let my faith do the talking…

Father in Heaven,
This scene in Your Book is touching – in more ways than one… It humbles me and makes me think of the things I face that make me want to react in anger, frustration, and fear when I should, against all reason, fight against the norm and strive to let my faith have me do the unthinkable: respond in godliness, humility, faithfulness, and truth. Abigail was right in 1 Samuel 26: The Lord rewards every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness. Lord, may I do so today, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: