Friday, April 9, 2010

Her Problem and Her Pledge


4.9.2010

1 Samuel 7:13 13 So the Philistines were subdued and did not again enter the territory of Israel. And the hand of the Lord was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel. ESV

If you look back at the end of the book of Judges you’ll find this statement: In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes. (Judges 21.25 ESV) This sums up the culture of Israel when Samuel became Israel’s judge after Samson. This culture was never God’s intention but God never forces His ways upon men; He gives them the choice to obey Him, and gives them the consequences for not; but never forces them. But neither does He abandon them.

The book of First Samuel could’ve been named Hannah for it all started with her – she longed for a child and I believe she longed for the return of her nation to God; she saw first hand the disastrous result of everyone did what was right in his own eyes… so she went to God with her problem and her pledge.

So the Philistines (the perennial enemies of Israel in those days) were subdued while Samuel was the judge of Israel. And Samuel became judge because his mom, Hannah, asked the Lord for a son; and God loved Israel and sought for them to return to His perfect love and beneficial rule.

I got a few Philistines in my life – things that are perennially problems for me – attitudes, perspectives; the consequences of my choices. My Samuel is Jesus and my Hannah is the Holy Spirit who longs for me to do the right thing (take a slow and meditative read through Romans 8). The question is, will I bring my problems to God? And what then will I pledge to Him in return?

Father in Heaven,
You have never stopped loving Israel. You’ve never stopped loving me. I pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit today that the Philistines in my life may be subdued. I pray for a right heart and a teachable spirit; and I pledge my heart to You; help me in my life and use me in my culture, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: