Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Turn to Return


4.25.2010

1 Samuel 30:6 6 And David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because all the people were bitter in soul, each for his sons and daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God. ESV

This may have been the turning point in David’s perspective – utter defeat. A friend of mine posed this question on FaceBook this morning: Do we who call ourselves "Christian" really know what it means to suffer well? Or are we simply whiners when it comes to the bumps and bruises of regular life? David was suffering and making bad decisions and the loss of his family and those of his men may have been the suffering necessary for him to strengthen himself in the Lord. Sometimes we have to ask, what will it take to get me to think differently?

Here are some things I think about this:
1. God will faithfully allow us to go off into our schemes in order to teach us how wrong they are.
2. God will never let us go completely but will use what is necessary to get us to see things differently and repent.
3. Pain and suffering are great teachers!
4. When the people we’re leading are picking up stones, it is time to listen to God…
5. I must carefully examine my ways and make sure I’m not deceiving myself by poor judgment.
6. I must trust God even in the worst of times that He is actively in the process of leading me back to that place of fellowship, humility and teachability with Him.

Father in Heaven,
You are faithful, and You love us enough to provide disaster in order to get our attention. Father, may I trust You to administer just what I need that I may turn and return to You. Help me in the tough times to be careful and thoughtful and to draw close that I may learn the lessons You’re teaching – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: