Sunday, April 11, 2010

God Help Them


4.11.2010

1 Samuel 12:23 23 Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. ESV

Probably the greatest prayer a person can pray is, “God, help me!” God knows our needs and nothing is hidden from His sight. It may surprise us to find, when we arrive home in His presence, that we will say of our greatest difficulties and trials on earth, with love and gratitude, “You did that!? For me!!?” God, help me.

Samuel’s words always give me pause. I think he was genuinely disappointed in the demand of the people for a king but he showed great character by not criticizing or complaining; he prayed and stayed with them – at least in spirit; but I believe in his attitude as well. God, help them.

As I pause and remember what Samuel said I am reminded to pray for those I know and to ask, God, help them whenever I see the needs in their lives. It’s easy for me to criticize and judge, but that is not the example, nor the mandate of Scripture; God, help them. I must cease sinning against God by not praying for those among whom I live (that, in Christ, I’m supposed to love).

Father in Heaven,
You’ve made it clear to me that to pray without ceasing is really how You’d like me to live and I’ve made such a lifestyle out of complaining and criticizing that praying is unnatural and difficult. I repent. I see that I need Your help and others do as well and may You help us all; but help me to remember to pray that when I arrive home with You, that I may be joyfully surprised at what my prayers accomplished in the lives of others by Your grace – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: