Sunday, April 18, 2010

Be Like the Lamp


4.18.2010

Matthew 5:16 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. ESV

The purpose of a lamp, says Jesus, is to give light when necessary – like every night perhaps, or on a cold and gloomy overcast day; or maybe when you’ve dropped something down there and need extra light to see it and retrieve it. Lamps serve a purpose and as a light of the world, my life is to serve the same purpose.

I was created in Christ to be a receiver of power and to give off light. The power is the power of Christ by the work of the Holy Spirit and the light is the reflection of God is all that I am, say, and do. Jesus tells me, in the same way, let your light shine before others that they may see your [usefulness] and give glory to your Father who gives the power and privilege to do so; Paul, be like the lamp – powerful and useful.

Today is a work day for me and off I go in an hour or so to serve in the employment that God has provided. I go not only to collect wages by which to live but also to do His work, being a light in His world. My reflection of Christ is daily becoming more and more real to me and more and more serious in how I live it, and represent Him. May I be an unfiltered light of His presence and may my words and actions represent Him well…

Father in Heaven,
You’ve created me to be a light and so may I shine for You this day that others may see You in me – in Jesus’ Name and by the Holy Spirit – amen.

No comments: