Friday, April 2, 2010

The Story of Me


4.2.2010

Judges 16:30 30 And Samson said, “Let me die with the Philistines.” ESV

In the English Standard Version of the Bible the words ‘I’ or ‘me’ are used in Samson’s story 65 times from verse 13.6 through to verse 16.30. Samson is the story of Me. Samson’s story is a testimony of the people of Israel who wandered from the Lord to serve the selfish little god called ‘me’. And ‘me’ is often a cruel, petty, little monster.

But remarkably, God works through ‘me’. God is not limited or hindered by you or me or the ‘me’s’. The Bible also says Samson judged Israel for twenty years and God used Samson as the beginning of the overthrow of the Philistines (see Judges 13.5)… not bad for a selfish piece of work…

And if that’s not enough, Samson is mentioned in the Faith Chapter in Hebrews 11 where the writer says, “And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— who through faith …were made strong out of weakness…” (Hebrews 11:32-34 ESV) God purposely uses people who are weak, impulsive, hesitant, or passionate; God uses those whose lives are a train wreck – like Samson’s. And God uses people like you and me to begin the overthrow off all that may be wrong in our lives, our families, or our communities.

I cringe at some of the stuff I read in Judges because it is some of the same selfish stuff I do and I’m encouraged that God works with me (and often in spite of me) just as I am. Yes, I am to grow in my faith, in personal holiness, and through grace, but many, many times I’m just pathetic little old me with all of my Samson-esque foibles, faults and fractures; but God has chosen to use me.

Father in Heaven,
You must not look for talent, skill, looks, or cleverness, or You certainly would have chosen someone else – for those are the things I lack in abundance. But You purposely choose the weak, the foolish, the overlooked, and those who routinely don’t live up to their potential in order that through them Your glory may be revealed. May I walk with You this day and learn from You and be used by You if only just to be a pothole of Your glory to someone else. May I give myself away so that others may benefit – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: