Friday, April 23, 2010

The Lesser of Two Evils


4.23.2010

1 Samuel 27:1Then David said in his heart, “Now I shall perish one day by the hand of Saul. There is nothing better for me than that I should escape to the land of the Philistines. Then Saul will despair of seeking me any longer within the borders of Israel, and I shall escape out of his hand.” ESV

David reasoned – he thought; he opted; he came to the conclusion. Was there truly nothing better than for a man of God to leave the people of God and go and dwell among the enemies of God? I think David was at the point of despair and was tired of being chased and harassed by Saul. Sometimes our circumstances lead us to despair and despair leads us to action. The temptation is to settle for less than God desires for us.

I have seen settling in the lives of people. I’ve seen desperate times lead to desperate decisions and a subsequent settling for less. Sometimes the circumstances drag on and on and the longer they drag on, the shorter our patience; and the quicker our solution. David chose what we might think to be the lesser of two evils. When I think about this, a line from a famous prayer comes to my mind: and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil

I’d really rather not have to choose the lesser of two evils. I’d really rather learn to trust God and not be put in that position. But if I do find myself there, I hope I have the fortitude in Christ to say, God, what do You want me to do? And listen for His answer.

Father in Heaven,
Many times I’ve found myself in utter despair scheming and dreaming of a way of escape. Sometimes that has led me to making the decision to dwell in a place where I really shouldn’t be among those I really shouldn’t be around. Father, lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil. And I ask for wisdom when faced with the choice of the lesser of two (or more) evils. Help me to do right – that’s my prayer in Christ, amen.

No comments: