Tuesday, April 6, 2010

His Relationship with God
4.6.2010

2 Corinthians 6:4 "...as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way..." ESV

Okay, I admit it, I’ve taken this phrase of Paul’s out of context and at face-value it appears to be boasting. But we must remember that Paul was defending his ministry against some pretty unfair accusations with people he’s led to the Lord. The thanks you get sometimes…

What caught my attention is in the list of his commendations, Paul never mentions his college degrees, or the churches he’s planted, or the awards he won in his list of accomplishments; no, he mentions beatings, imprisonment, slander, hardships and such – these are the true commendations of someone who is genuinely in the game and is unwilling to quit no matter what. That’s the kind of leadership needed in the church because church can be an ugly place sometimes with competing agendas, petty little egos, and the pastor not acting in the manner some think he ought…

Paul’s commendation is really his relationship with God (no matter what) and everything that comes with it; and if I’m looking for a commendation then mine can be nothing other than my walk with the Lord. Life is not what I’ve done but who I serve and all that comes with it because it isn’t popular to serve God. And when I serve the Lord and name Him Jesus Christ, He said there will always be slander, hate, want, and the like (cf. John 16.33).

Father in Heaven,
You have called me to serve You; You have called me to be a partner with You in the redemption business and the payoff is Your love, grace and Your living in me in order that I may do the things You’ve ordained. May my commendation be my walk with You and may it bring glory to Your Name I pray in Christ’s Name, amen.

No comments: