Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fools


4.20.2010

Matthew 7:27 27 "And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” ESV

The video footage on TV of where a lot of rain has fallen and the rivers have flooded and the banks of the rivers are collapsing and the houses along the banks are being swept into the flood are pretty impressive. The power and force of nature is, to use the word carefully, awesome.

That’s the picture that Jesus paints of the person who listens to what He says then doesn’t do what He says. There were rain and floods in Jesus’ day. Nowadays there are those who claim that Jesus was a good teacher but don’t do what He says – these who say He was a good teacher are fools who’ve built their lives in the flood-zone; sooner or later will come the flood and the collapse.

There are other fools who are people like me who’ve acknowledged the Lordship of Christ and not done what He says. I’m one of them. I’m now paying the price for my decisions and reaping what I’ve sown, but now am trusting in the Lordship of Christ to see me through the messes that I’ve made. Fortunately, there’s been some progress – I’ve done the repenting and He’s graciously done the work of rebuilding where the floods have ravaged.

Father in Heaven,
You’ve spoken and we’ve the choice of whether or not we listen. Some of us listen partially and do partially and some listen with all their heart, soul, mind and strength. As the old song says, “I want to be in that number...” I want to be among those who listen to what You say and do all that You command; help me God, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: