Monday, April 19, 2010

Spend It in the Right Place


4.19.2010

Matthew 6:25 25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? ESV

I have lived most of my life anxiously; anxiety has been a close companion and I’ve done it so much for so long that it seems to be a part of me anymore – except that I know it’s not, and it’s wrong to be anxious…that is, if God is God.

Anxiety (among other things) is unbelief and selfish-striving to control the uncontrollable. No wonder Jesus said, “do not be anxious about your life…” It’s one thing to be wise, it’s one thing to be responsible; it’s one thing to be trusting. It’s another thing all together to worry about the stuff.

To worry is to expend precious energy over things I cannot control and I must repeatedly tell myself that my energy reserves are limited. As long as I’m going to expend energy I must train myself to spend it in the right place for the right reason. I think that’s why Isaiah said of God, “He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.” (Is 40:29 ESV) And then he went on to say, “…but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” (Is 40:31 ESV) It’s divine leverage – I exchange all the energy I would waste on worrying and in return get God’s strength to make a difference in this world! That’s why Jesus said, ‘don’t be anxious!’

Father in Heaven,
You know what we want and know what we need. Help me today whenever I catch myself worrying to consciously give those thoughts over to You and to praise You for Your providence. Thank You that You meet my needs and always have. Help me to trust You more, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

The Holy Bible : English standard version. 2001 (Is 40:29,31). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

No comments: