Sunday, December 20, 2009

What You Say to Say


12.20.2009

John 8:28 28 So Jesus said, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me. New American Standard Bible

It gives me shivers to think that Jesus did not come to earth or say or do anything on His own initiative; I don’t think I like the sound of that. But I do like the sound of Jesus admitting that He spoke and did as the Father taught Him to say and do.

Taking initiative is something admirable in most of life. We teach our kids to take the initiative to do good, study hard, and clean up their rooms. But we don’t want our kids to take the initiative to smoke pot, abuse alcohol underage, shoplift or anything else on the list of Big Nasties. That kind of initiative is not admirable.

But what about me; where am I losing the taking-the-initiative battle? I do it all the time when I speak or act without thinking. I do it all the time when I think about how unfair or distant God seems to be – and just why is it that He can’t seem to see what it is I’m going through!?

Last night before bed I read Psalm 40 which begins: ‘I waited patiently for the Lord and He heard my cry…’ (Italics mine). Here’s my initiative – to wait patiently. I won’t wait silently because the verse says I waited patiently and He heard my cry. I will take the initiative to cry out to God but I will also take the initiative to thank Him for what He’s doing whether I see it or not. I will take the initiative to bring the sacrifice of praise; the fruit of lips that give thanks to His Name! (Heb 13.15) I will take the initiative to cooperate with Him, learn from Him and obey Him.

Father God,
You aren’t seeking my assistance, advice, or action – You are seeking my cooperation and taking the initiative to be teachable. Thank You that Jesus did what He was taught to do and said what He was taught to say. I ask for the same instruction because what You say to say always means and does something for the good of the listener. I ask that on behalf of Curt, Steve, Ben, and Monty today, that somehow Your words would penetrate their hearts and that true life would begin – in Jesus’ Name I ask, amen.

No comments: