Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Whack Upside the Head


12.9.2009

Titus 1:12-13 12 One of themselves, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.” 13 This testimony is true. For this reason reprove them severely so that they may be sound in the faith, New American Standard Bible

What was on display here in Titus was a culture – It appears the Cretans (where Titus was a pastor) had a bad reputation for being liars, evil, and fat and lazy. Bing, bing, bing, three strikes… Paul conveyed to Titus, “What is said of them is true, I know these folks!” And so Paul counseled Titus to reprove them severely in order to get them to be sound in the faith. They needed a whack upside the head to get their attention and break the grip of their culture.

How could we characterize our culture? Personally, I think Americans fall into the ‘Cretan’ category; we are the same kind of people. But our problem is, on top of all that, we whine and moan that we’re victims and it’s just not our fault that we are the way we are; we are very adverse to any kind of severe reproof because, we gots our rights! Yeah, right. And as a result we moderns have a very shallow view of grace and are dismally unsound in the faith.

I am currently in one of the largest battles of my life – my faith versus the residue of my culture, my upbringing, and my world-view. Out of one side of my mind I desire the Kingdom of God; out of the other is what I’ve always held to be true. The two are in fierce opposition to one another and the only answer for me seems to be a whack upside the head (repeatedly) to get me to let go of and recognize the disastrousness of the culture I’ve held so dear and to urgently flee to soundness in faith, purity, and godliness; lest I lose the battle. Personally, I have to have the demands of Scripture and heed and embrace them, or I’ll lose, and I’ve too much at stake to lose.

Father in Heaven,
You are the Source of wisdom and I plead for wisdom this day. I need Your wisdom and courage to live the life You demand that I may obtain the Prize You have promised. Help me this day to keep my bearings and to fight the good fight. I need regular and sharp reproof, and I trust You to administer what is needed so that I may be sound in the faith – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: