Sunday, December 6, 2009

Conformed Transformed


12.6.2009

Philippians 3:10 10 …that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death… New American Standard Bible

What does it mean to be conformed to His death? What was His death?

Jesus’ death was (among all the other eternal and infinite implications) willing, sacrificial, unique, final, effectual, temporary, sinless, obedient, pleasing, right, holy, real, painful, perfect, hopeful

What would my life look like labeled with these kinds of adjectives – willing, sacrificial, purposeful, pleasing, and obedient? As Paul sought to be conformed to these things, so must I – it gives me a whole new slant to the way I live. Paul sought to be conformed to Jesus’ death in order that he could experience the power of Jesus' resurrection. And Paul knew, and wanted us to know, that as he/we live conformed to Jesus’ death, he/we would then be transformed into Jesus’ life and then become worthy partakers of Heaven with new bodies of glory as Jesus’ body is glorious.

A Puritan father from the 17th century wrote, “If sincerely adhered to, these (practices gleaned from the Scripture) will be conducive to the holiness, fruitfulness, and quietness of your life, and [will] add to you a comfortable and peaceful death.” What more could I ask for?

Father in Heaven,
Your plans and purposes infinitely exceed where my puny little mind goes but You created me to resolutely and irrevocably go where they are, in everyday life and one certain day, in death. May I, as the Apostle, learn to be conformed to my Lord’s death so that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection – death could not overcome Him, and in Him, it won’t overcome me either. Father conform me by Your Spirit to the crucified life that I may be transformed into the glorified life – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: