Thursday, December 24, 2009

Glorifying Death


12.24.2009

John 21:19 19 Now this He said, signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me!” New American Standard Bible

Peter, your life has been created for a purpose and the end of your life will bring glory to God because you will have lived for the ultimate purpose of glorifying God. As I have lived to achieve God’s purposes and bring Him glory, so you do the same in living as I have lived. – Jesus, (PTP)

I’m kinda awestruck by these words as I’m sitting here thinking about the beauty of death for the servant of God. Thinking about that, I’m also thinking about ugly appearing flower bulbs that are planted in the fall, remain in the cold, frozen and seemingly lifeless ground throughout the winter, which bloom gloriously in the spring.

Psalm 116.15 reads, Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His godly ones. Peter’s life was to glorify God. My life is to glorify God. And death is a beautiful thing for the servant of the Lord whose life has served it’s purpose and God is glorified as a result.

I’ve got something to think about today…

Lord God,
Precious in Your sight is the death of Your godly ones. I’m not sure I’m right but that sounds like You take immense pleasure in the homecoming of Your kids. And Lord, as Peter’s life brought You glory and his death served even that purpose, I pray that mine life, and death, does as well. Help me to live steadfastly following Jesus and to remember that even in death I may bring glory to Your holy Name. Amen.

Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty – Who was and is and is to come! Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments: