Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Know How


12.8.2009

1 Timothy 3:15 15 ...but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth. New American Standard Bible

While there is some benefit in the process of trial and error; there is much more to be gained by know how. Know how saves a lot of time spent in trial and error and avoids the often ugly effort of recreating the wheel. So Paul wrote to Timothy, his young protégé and instructed him so that Timothy would know how to conduct himself in the household of God (which is often a very scary place in belief and practice) that is supposed to be (by God’s intent and design) the pillar and support of the truth.

Massive statements, these. I failed as a pastor only because I didn’t conduct myself with know how and spent much time in trial and error (a lot of error) and a lot of energy in trying to recreate the wheel. And I know what God intends for the church to be but I also know from experience what the church actually is and sometimes those two realities are universes apart.

But if I were to do things again (pastoring that is) I’d do them differently because now I possess some know how. (I said some not all.) And the Church, with all her warts and blemishes, is still the pillar and support of God’s truth on earth; He uses His people to accomplish His purposes. That’s why the reading and studying of Scripture, coupled with our experiences and the fellowship of the saints, is so vital to growth in our spiritual lives. Without it we become cynical and unbelieving – two things I’d rather avoid.

Father in Heaven,
You are all about know how. You’ve ordained for Your church to be the pillar and support of the truth. So, You’ve given us Your word by which we are to live so that we know how to conduct ourselves in the church and in the world. And, You’ve stocked Your church with people who can and will accomplish Your purposes as they gain know how to do so. Help me to know how, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

1 comment:

hallockd said...

just curious, what is leading you from passage to passage in your posts, which sound like the fruit of your devotional reading? No criticism stated or implied here, I'm just curious what, if anything is behind the jumping around?