Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fervent Love


12.16.2009

1 Peter 4:8 8 Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. New American Standard Bible

A cover-up is an attempt to conceal a secret deed. Cover-ups are normal in our day and seemingly especially when it comes to big-business or big-politics; it seems to be the way we do business with each other. Expedience is the order of the day and as long as no one really knows what means or methods were employed to achieve the results, all that matters then are the results.

Peter doesn’t say love is a cover-up for sin, however. Peter says love covers a multitude of sins. Love accepts responsibility and accepts the consequences, but doesn’t deny what is. Love enables the sinner to come to terms with his sins and to repent and find the forgiveness of God and the acceptance of the saints. We know what you did, but we know who you are in Him, and we still accept you – therefore go and sin no more.

But we can’t do what Peter said without fervency. His instruction to us is nothing short of passionate compassion and enthusiastic encouragement for success between those who call themselves His children. It can’t be any other way and work.

One thing I have learned thus far in the journey: I rub some people the wrong way; so do you. So, for the sake of Christ let’s learn to love one another fervently and by doing so put a covering of grace, understanding, and acceptance upon our lives and let the perfect love of 1 Corinthians 13 make up the difference.

Father in Heaven,
I can’t think of the last time I went to church fired up and filled up with fervent love for anyone. I pray that You help me to understand what is being asked of me here in Peter’s writing and to put it into practice so that I may learn to treat my fellow saints with the love and courtesy they deserve in Christ – In His Name I pray, amen.

No comments: