Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hello Stranger


12.13.2009

Hebrews 11:13 13 All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. New American Standard Bible

Hello stranger! That’s what you are if you choose to accept it. There are certain ‘buzz’ phrases in the Bible that smack up against our culture and can give the unenlightened reason for calling the people of God a cult; and this is one of them, “…[they] confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.” Do that today and see what kind of reaction you get.

Followers of Christ in America are NOT American Christians, they are Christians. Where we live, what we do, who we know, has very little to do with who we are: strangers and exiles on the earth. And if we are exiles, where are we exiled from? We are exiled from our culture, our up-bringing, our traditions, etc., etc., etc. (The same can be said of followers of Christ anywhere in the world.) This world (in its current configuration) is not our home. We know we are who we are when we can say we are strangers and exiles on the earth.

Part of my success in being a follower of Jesus Christ is saying about myself what is true. Here is what is true, I am God’s son and I am a stranger and exile on the earth. Those two statements set me apart from the rest of the herd and dictate how I am to live. Yes, I am in the world, but according to Jesus, I am not of the world and as such, I yearn for my homeland which is above, not below. Today, I live loving and learning, that I may fit into what is giving and yearning: sharing the Gift of God and yearning for the day I go home forever.

Father in Heaven,
You have called me to live by faith and as such to confess and accept that I am in a foreign country on assignment for You. Help me to live out my faith among those who don’t know You that somehow they can see You and confess that they too accept that they are strangers and exiles on the earth. Help me today, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: