Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dogged Determination


12.23.2009

John 17:4 4 “I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do. New American Standard Bible

One glaring characteristic of Jesus’ high priestly prayer in John 17 is this: He never confessed sin. The writer of Hebrews explains that the Jewish High Priest annually made atonement for the sins of the people and his own sins. But Jesus never did that because Jesus did what He was sent to do; having accomplished the work which the Father had given Him to do. And He did it without sin. Jesus was more into obedience than He was Himself.

It takes a dogged determination to do what you are given to do. It takes courage and self-discipline because life doesn’t cooperate with our agendas. I have to confess my sins when I pray; I have to confess my distractions from my agenda and my self-will. I have to, because I’m so weak at doing what I have been given to do – that is to believe in His Name and believe in His Cause – and obey.

My calling is to accomplish what I have been given to do: to believe. No, I haven’t been called to die for the sins of the world, that’s already been done; but I am to take up my cross daily and follow Jesus; holding to His example and His passion for the things of God. I’m called to self-discipline and self-control and I am called to keep in step with the Holy Spirit. Yes, I have to confess my sins when I blow it but my goal, aim and desire is to say to God, “I sought Your glory on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given me to do…”

Father God,
You have created me and called me into Your Kingdom. Help me to keep my mind focused and to complete the work which You have given me to do. Help me to grow each day in my understanding of that work and to employ dogged determination to live the way You’ve called me to live – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: