Thursday, December 31, 2009

According to What


12.31.2009

Revelation 22:12 12 “Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. New American Standard Bible

It won’t be what we believe or think but what we say and do that will matter in the end when God comes to judge mankind. The question will be, “What did you do with your life and how did you respond to Me?”

We humans seem to be so caught up in the doing and it seems often we do without much thought as to why or for what. It is important that we do, but it is more important for whom we do. The Lord will measure the effectiveness of our lives according to what we do, how we live, and how we love. Those will be important indicators to Him of what was really going on in our lives.

Recently, I have been seeking to discern God’s will for my life and I admit I came dangerously close to missing it by trying to compress His will into a particular vocation or course of action. I suddenly realized how foolish this was – it is for the child of God to live according to what is written in the Word of God and then to trust God to lead him into whatever activity or vocation He deems appropriate. On this closing day of 2009 I realize that to live for the Lord according to His word is my job one. Everything else is His to direct, guide, and lead.

So in response, at 54 years old, I surrender my aspirations, dreams, and ambitions to the Lord, and commit myself to live a life of love for God and love for my fellow man and to walk according to the behavioral prescriptions of the Bible. If I am to be judged according to what I have done, then I will do what He says, and leave the results up to Him!

Father God,
You are looking at the lives of all men (including mine) and You will judge us all according to what we have done. May I do what You say and relax about vocation knowing You will lead me into precisely where You deem me to be. I give You praise – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: