Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Higher Rank


12.17.2009

John 1:30 30 “This is He on behalf of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’ New American Standard Bible

John’s words meant something like this: “He is the One I am announcing who comes before me in the order of this because He existed long before me.” Who could have a higher rank than God?

John was born first then Jesus, so John wasn’t talking about birth-order. John was talking about authority and Jesus was the One who gave his words credence. Whenever John was questioned about his ministry he always pointed to Jesus and said, “He’s the One, not me!” John knew his place and knew without Jesus his words and ministry meant nothing.

My words only mean something because of Jesus – I’d better get that! Only Jesus gives my words credence (oh, and yours also!) I’d better know my place, Paul Turk, servant of God. And when folks look at my life and ask why I better be pointing always and only to Jesus – the One who has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me and because of Him I exist at all…

Father in Heaven,
You created an order of things and You expect us to live within that order and to cooperate with You. John knew it, Peter, knew it – Paul and all the rest knew it. Help me this day to be conscious of that fact and to cooperate with You within Your order. You existed long before any of us and without assistance from anyone. May Your rank lend credence to my words this day I pray in Jesus Name, amen.

No comments: