Monday, December 7, 2009

The Flavor of Heaven


12.7.2009

Colossians 4:6 6 Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. New American Standard Bible

Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth…” By saying this I think He was implying that the earth is rather bland without salt. Not just the earth – dirt, rocks, mountains and seas – but the realm of the earth and all that is in it. As wonderful as the earth may be, God has decreed that His people are what set it apart and make it special.

In a performance-based world, grace is a hard concept for those who think the world revolves around them, their interests, and their perspective. Grace is: I favor you just because I do – nothing else. Man argues: it has to be because of something that you like me; God answers: There is nothing you can do to earn it!

So the speaking, the words of the Christian, is to be gracious with the seasoning that comes along with being God’s representative. The Salt of the Earth is to speak accordingly so that the bland of the earth may see, hear, and taste the difference.

I must continue to think differently about who I am and what I do. If I am salt of the earth then I am so only because Jesus has made me so for His purposes. Therefore, I must be aware of my calling and to what purpose I serve among my fellow man today – to spice things up a bit.

Father in Heaven,
Your world and all who are in it are spoiled and bland because of the effects of sin. But You have placed Your people in the world to bring the flavor of Heaven amidst all of that. Help me this day to do as Paul instructs and to use my speech to share grace and seasoning among those who know nothing of Your glory and have decided that this is all there ever will be – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: