Monday, September 21, 2009

Wondering


9/21/2009

Luke 4:22 22 And all were speaking well of Him, and wondering at the gracious words which were falling from His lips; and they were saying, “Is this not Joseph’s son?” New American Standard Bible

The other part of the question, “Is this not Joseph’s son?” is, “Where’d he learn all this stuff!?” They knew He couldn’t have learned it from the seminaries of His day because He didn’t go there. They knew He couldn’t have learned it locally because none of them knew it. Their suspicions were aroused and their defenses were being built up at light speed. These people in Nazareth had never encountered anyone who’d had an actual encounter with God…

What about us? Do people write us off as religious or weird when we begin to share our testimony? What about our own family? Family can be our toughest critics. What do we sound like to others when we encounter the Living God?

Perhaps the best approach is humility and brokenness. Jesus went to them “…in the power of the Spirit”; all I can do is go admitting that I am a sinner but that I have encountered the Living God and He has chosen to reside in me by His Spirit. I must then continue to encounter Him knowing that many this side of Heaven will not understand, accept or appreciate that fact; but I will seek God and obey Him as He sends me to the ones He desires those who know me and those who don’t. How many people up there in Nazareth do you suppose put their faith in Jesus that day?

Father in Heaven,
It is all about priorities. Had Jesus been tangled up in sociology we’d all be in a world of hurt. But He knew who He was and why He was sent and He shared the truth whether they listened or tried to throw Him off a cliff. Today Father, I am reminded of my mission and purpose and what You’ve called me to in the power of Your Spirit. Help me to walk worthy this day, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: