Friday, September 18, 2009

This Thought


9/18/2009

Luke 1:37 37 “For nothing will be impossible with God.” New American Standard Bible

I’ve always wondered why the discipline of silence was laid against Zacharias and Mary seems to ask the same sort of question and she gets away with it. Two thoughts:

1. Zacharias was a priest and was married. Priests are supposed to know and proclaim that nothing will be impossible with God; even their own elderly wife getting pregnant. Also, age really doesn’t preclude baby-making… Zacharias based his rejection in unbelief and nature.
2. Mary was a peasant and single. Yes, Matthew tells us she was betrothed but she was still a virgin and baby-making sort of throws the whole virginity thing out the window. Also, Mary accepted what Gabriel said, "...may it be done to me according to your word.” (v. 38)

Luke 1 is filled with the evidence of God interacting with His people and helping the humble and opposing the proud. We all should always approach God with this thought: “for nothing will be impossible with God.” Of that, I am reminded today, and with that I am reminded to pray; lest my voice be taken from me, and in silence I come around to humility…

Father in Heaven,
Nothing will, shall, can, is, impossible for You. You can and have made the deaf hear, the blind see, the lame to walk and the dead to come forth from their graves. You are God and You are stopped at nothing. Help me in everything through my circumstances these days to remember that truth and to grow in my trust of what it is You are doing (or not doing) on my behalf; I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: