Sunday, September 13, 2009

In One Day


9/13/2009

Revelation 18:8 8 “For this reason in one day her plagues will come, pestilence and mourning and famine, and she will be burned up with fire; for the Lord God who judges her is strong. New American Standard Bible

Two days ago we in the US remembered the horrible attack our nation suffered at the hands of terrorists in New York, Washington DC, and Pennsylvania. It didn’t take long to throw this country – the whole thing – into a panic and I’m not sure we’ve ever recovered. In just one day in the space of about 5 hours this all took place and the powerful United States of America was looking pretty grim…

It won’t take long for Babylon, whether it is a culture, a city, or a nation, to fall into complete disarray on the day of her judgment. Historically, ancient Babylon under Belshazzar the king, fell in just one night to Darius the Mede. Judgment doesn’t need much time.

It doesn’t take long to repent either. Sin’s consequences may last indefinitely, but repentance can take place in a heartbeat. God’s grace is patient up to a point but His love truly lasts forever. I’m glad. In just one moment my whole life turned around forever because I finally submitted to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

Father in Heaven,
O God, You are strong - once You go, You go; it doesn’t take long for Your judgment to take place. But it doesn’t take long for Your mercy either. Thank You for salvation, and thank You also that there is final and speedy retribution for those who oppose You. Your Word reminds me that You are gracious and compassionate; slow to anger and rich I love. May that truth leak from me all the days of my life; who knows what can happen as a result – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: