Thursday, September 24, 2009

Forgiveness and Love


9.24.2009
Luke 7:47 47 “For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little.” New American Standard Bible

It appears there is a direct correlation between forgiveness and love. A person who is forgiven much has the capacity to love much because they have such a self-loathing for their sin. Sin is captivity, sin is a retardant, and sin is a crippling, impeding reality in human life. To be freed from that is to be grateful and to be filled with compassion for those who are still caught up in it… The woman turned to the only One who could free her from the horrors of her sin and she was relieved and released; it created love in her heart. Her love enabled her to address her demons and because she did, she was forgiven much.

When I approach life in self-righteousness, I cannot be forgiven much because I am, in that state, ignoring the real issue – my sin. David said, “When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”— and you forgave the guilt of my sin.” (Psalm 32:1-5 NIV)

Confession of sin is good for the soul. Daily assessing our activities and addressing our heart motives is a good activity. Seeking God in love is recognizing how sick we are in our sins and how safe we’ll be when we admit them and turn from them – that is the way of the loving heart.

Father in Heaven,
You desire purity in the life of Your child. I must go through the difficulties of thinking about my words and deeds so that I may come clean before You and when I do I am forgiven and when I am I can love others as You love me. Help me this day to love much for Lord, You have forgiven me much – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: