Wednesday, September 16, 2009

He Who Overcomes


9/16/2009

Revelation 21:7 7 “He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son. New American Standard Bible

When I read of the Temple in Ezekiel and the New Jerusalem in Revelation I must be very careful not to see them as I see them but as they are: far grander in grandeur than I can imagine. And God says, “He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.” The glory of heaven is mine if I remain faithful and true to my God.

But first, there is this life to overcome. There are many who think this life is all there is. There are many who think this life is the best we’ll ever see. But this life at its best is only a dark shadow of the glories of heaven and the beauty and welcome of the New City.

I am to live today as an overcomer – that means way more than living by trying to be good. Overcoming means to trust God for every move I make, every step I take, and for every sin I forsake no matter how comfortable I am with it or how often I use it. Overcoming in this life means a daily routine and habitual abandoning of all it promises, and looking forward with ever increasing expectation to the grandeur and glories of heaven.

God expects me to walk as an overcomer and that is the life I choose. And I can only do that as I depend upon Him and live with the expectation of His presence as my only goal for my present every day. So, today I set out trusting God that I can somehow overcome all that I am used to, and live with eagerness for all that He’s promised me in Heaven; which is infinitely better than the best offered here.

Father in Heaven,
Be with me Lord Jesus, I ask that I stay; close by You forever and help me I pray. Bless all my endeavor, take all of my care; and fit me for heaven to live with You there – I pray in Your precious Name, amen.

No comments: