Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Shall I Weep?


9.30.2009

Zechariah 7:3b “Shall I weep in the fifth month and abstain, as I have done these many years?” New American Standard Bible

Q: “What’s the use, God doesn’t answer my prayers anyway! I don’t really feel like going to church today; he always says the same thing! Shall I weep in the fifth month and abstain, as I have done these many years? Is this serving any meaningful purpose at all!?”
A: Depends on who you do it for.

A friend of mine says fasting is not for the purpose of showing God how serious I am or to strong-arm God into giving me what I want; fasting is for the purpose of aligning my heart with God’s. God’s complaint to the Jews all those years about forsaking the sabbaths and going through the motions in their fasts and feasts was not that they weren’t doing it – no, it was that they were leaving Him out; He was no longer their focus.

It doesn’t matter if I go to church or not if God’s not the Reason I do it. It doesn’t matter if I fast or tithe or teach children or serve on the board if God isn’t the Reason I do it. If I can’t go, serve or give to seek God, then it’s better that I don’t do any of it…

I’ve been neglecting my sabbaths and I’m going to repent. I’ve been neglecting the Reason, and I’m going to repent.

Father in Heaven,
You are the Reason for everything I do – work, worship, whatever. Thank You for the reminder that if it isn’t for You in all I do then it’s better off left undone. Your servant of old wrote, “Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” May Your glory be the focus of all my activities today and every day – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: