Saturday, September 26, 2009

Looking Back


9.26.2009
Luke 9:62 62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” New American Standard Bible

When Jesus said, “No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God”, must have meant something different than what it sounds like. His statement sounds too black and white over something so small; “looking back” must mean something other than “looking back”.

Luke 9 is full of instances where Jesus said something and was misunderstood. One thing the disciples were probably aware of was, Jesus often meant something different in His words. To a 21st century reader such as me, I must be careful how I approach what is recorded for me in the Bible; their mannerisms and their sayings then are different than ours today.

Looking back can’t mean just looking back it has to mean something more like giving up. Looking back must mean something more like going back. Because we all look back from time to time and wonder why we believe or what’s in it for us. We all face frustrations, temptations, and condemnations because of our faith and sometimes want to give up. But Jesus is simply telling us that by looking back, we’re setting ourselves up to give up and giving up is just not acceptable when there is a field to plow and seed to sow and plants to harvest and food to eat… Starting out in the Kingdom and then later giving up on all that the Kingdom is shows a heart that is not able to do what the Kingdom requires.

I could look back and think about how happy and carefree I was in days gone by. I could look back and tell myself how happy I was before I bumped into this Jesus Person. But I cannot deny what Jesus has done for me and I cannot deny what Jesus promises to those who hang in there with Him. So I might glimpse over my shoulder every once in a while – but not for long because I have a field to plow and seed to sow…

Father in Heaven,
I could look back and at times it looks like I am looking back but it isn’t for long that I am back on Your front porch asking for Your goodness and grace to sustain me and help me to keep going on. You have called me and I am grateful; may I complete the work You’ve given me – in Jesus’ Name I pray, amen.

No comments: