Monday, March 22, 2010

The What Ifs


3.22.2010

1 Corinthians 7:17 17 Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. ESV

Although there wasn’t chapters and verses when this letter was written, Paul does seem to take on a list of topics that concerned the Corinthian Church. And as he systematically goes through the list we come to ‘chapter 7’ wherein Paul addresses some what ifs they had between marriage and devotion to the Lord. (I’ve always been a little bored with this chapter…)

Today however, the important thing I get out of all of this is this: “Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches.” Paul is saying there is the possibility of devotion in the faith and distraction, but each one of us is to lead the life the Lord has assigned us, to which God has called us. We’re not to daydream about the what ifs. The what ifs can lead to disaster and disobedience if we’re not careful. I think that’s what Paul was partially addressing in his words to these people.

I can burn up time with ‘what ifs’ quicker than a kid with three bucks in a candy store. I think the ‘what ifs’ can lead to temptation and certainly to distraction if they are entertained. The answer to that is, live the life that the Lord has assigned to me, to which God has called me; married, unmarried, whatever. God has saved me but He’s also assigned me to live out the faith He’s given right where I am and I am to follow Him there…

Father in Heaven,
This seems to be Your wakeup call to daydreamers who ask, ‘what if?’ I pray for the spiritual strength to deal with my daydreams and to live faithfully in the reality that You’ve given me – for Your glory and my salvation – amen.

No comments: