Thursday, March 18, 2010

Only Be


3.18.2010

Joshua 1.18 "Only be strong and courageous.” ESV

Don’t panic. Never give in, never surrender. Don’t quit. Don’t be afraid. Only be strong and courageous. Of all the other things a person could be, today on the leading edge of a new day, at the gateway to a new adventure, perhaps the establishment of a new job, a new future, only be strong and courageous.

There are lots of unknowns. There are hurdles to leap, valleys to cross, mountains to scale and enemies to defeat – only be strong and courageous. There will be hurts, hassles, hang-ups; there will be casualties along the way, diagnoses to deal with – only be strong and courageous.

But why only this, and not something else? Because God is sending us and He isn’t counting on our defeat – only His resources to see us through – only be strong in the Lord and very courageous because to what God sends us to is to what He ordains for us to conquer – not in our resources, cleverness or skill, but in His strength alone – so there is no reason for anything other than being strong in Him and very courageous as His representative.

Today is a new day for me and I will only be strong and very courageous. I will be strong in the things I know the Lord is calling me to: hard work, a quiet spirit, commitment to the moment, and to represent Him well amidst my fellow man. Yesterday was a disaster, today I am reminded only be strong and courageous.

Father in Heaven,
You, who never leave me nor forsake me; You who rescue only those who take refuge in You; You are sending me forth this day to live accordingly and appropriately. I will do so Lord, but only as strong and courageous for it is Your Kingdom I represent and I am to do that well – in Jesus I pray, amen.

No comments: