Sunday, March 7, 2010

Such a Mind as That


3.7.2010

Deuteronomy 5:29 29 Oh that they had such a mind as this always, to fear me and to keep all my commandments, that it might go well with them and with their descendants forever! ESV

They had their moments – once in a while they got it and saw clearly and understood. But those moments were few and far between; they failed far more often than they succeeded.

That’s just like us – once in a while we get it, but we fail more often than we succeed. The difference today is God says, “By My Spirit, and because My Son, I’ll see to it that they’ll get it!”

When I take my dog for her walk I often redeem the time by praying and remembering the day; what I’ve said, how I’ve behaved and such. That’s when I ask God to have a mind as that always. I get forgetful. I get distracted. I get caught up in gossip. I have ‘untoward’ thoughts. So I come back to the Lord and ask for His forgiveness and help to have a mind such as that always.

I want to fear the Lord and keep all of His commandments forever. But that’s why I have faith in Christ and the presence of the Holy Spirit – to keep me focused on the right things and to help me in the fight against all that is in me that is opposed to God…

Father in Heaven,
You expect faithfulness and effort on my part to come to measure the way I live with the way You desire for me to be; help me to have a mind such as that always – I pray through the Holy Spirit by faith Jesus Christ – amen.

No comments: