Thursday, March 25, 2010

Looking for the Exit


3.25.2010

1 Corinthians 10:13 13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. ESV

I’ve always struggled with is temptation sin, or the enticement to sin? And what’s the difference anyway? Temptation is very real and very present; most of the time I don’t even know I’m being tempted because I am so used to living with it. But here is how I think about temptation: Interstate Highways…

Say two of us are at work and one makes an untoward or critical comment about a third who is not present. I hear and then feel as if the criticism is warranted because that person has acted that same way around me and so from my mouth comes a like comment giving credence to what was said about our friend. The temptation is that fast-lane to process the remark, agree with it, and join in with criticism. The sin is to do it.

But Paul teaches us that along with the temptation there will be an off ramp provided to speak wisely or lovingly (in this situation) and diffuse what might be critical and judgmental comments that are, in reality, unwarranted because none of us really knows others that deeply and while they might act in a certain manner, there is always room for God’s love and grace.

My eyes must be peeled for the off-ramps and make the effort to stay away from the fast-lane of temptation lest I miss my exit. I must realize the consequences of temptation and my subsequent actions and seek for holiness at all cost because the way to defeat temptation is to see it and flee it.

Father in Heaven,
You also provide a way of escape that I may be able to endure the temptation and resist it. I pray for help and I pray for eyes to see and ears to hear that I may flee from the temptations that assault me…amen.

No comments: