Thursday, March 4, 2010

Therefore – Ask and Believe


3.4.2010

Mark 11:24 24 “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” – Jesus (ESV)

In many of the commentaries I have read to see what the eggheads think about this statement of Jesus’, I mostly get that He is speaking figuratively about moving mountains and trying to get His point across that prayer is both powerful and productive. His point is that to get anything done, prayer is necessary. Therefore, as a non-egghead, I tend to think Jesus was speaking literally about moving mountains because He goes on to say, “Therefore…”

The therefore is there for this reason: we are to believe God when we approach Him in conversation. Jesus was teaching by cursing the fig tree (cf. Mark 11.12-14; 20ff) that prayer gets things done. But there is a Key Element (capitalization on purpose) to all prayer: the leading of the Holy Spirit. All prayer from the standpoint of the believer is Spirit-led; not all requests are. Some of the stuff we ask for is way off the map. Therefore, be Spirit-led in conversation with God letting His desires be yours, and He will give you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37.3,4).

Therefore, I will work by the Spirit to upgrade my prayer life from all personal matters to more Kingdom matters. I have the promise of God that He will care for me, therefore, I will thank Him for that and pray less about those issues and more about the lost ones around me who need His touch and salvation. And I will believe that He hears and answers prayer…

Father in Heaven,
You call me to prayer; You promise to provide; therefore, may my desires be Yours, and may the Holy Spirit lead me to pray appropriately and effectively – in Jesus’ Name I ask, amen.

No comments: