Saturday, March 6, 2010

Nothing More Nothing Less


3.6.2010

Deuteronomy 4:2 2 You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you. ESV

This principle finds us early on in the pages of the Bible – we’re to do only what God says; nothing more, nothing less. We’re not to add to them nor are we to take away from them; they are the complete deal and all we need to thrive and survive.

This calls for discernment and wisdom because some things in the Scripture are patterns of what ‘they (the ancients) did’ in their day, in their way, and not necessarily forms for us to follow today. What is required is a heart that says, “Lord, teach me how to live that I may hear Your voice and do exactly as You say, nothing more, nothing less.” And it calls for discipline - that all I have and am is to be treated as His for use at His disposal. Paul the Apostle said it this way: But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ… (italics mine) Philippians 3:7-8 ESV

The goal of my life is to know Him and use everything I have (that He's given) to bring that about.

Father in Heaven,
You have called me to know You and I want to do that – nothing more, nothing less. You have given me skills, abilities, preferences, passions – all these things; and I give them to You, that I may know You. Help me to hear, obey and walk in the way everlasting, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: